Volkmann offers simply the best turnkey solution in metal powder handling for Additive Manufacturing
Starting with PowTReX and PowTReXi– Safe Metal Powder Transfer, Recovery and Extraction Systems for Additive Manufacturing
Load. Transfer. Screen. Extract. Return-to-use metal powders with high bulk densities at high rates.
The Volkmann PowTReX systems are designed specifically to enhance additive manufacturing technology when handling metal powders or toxic materials by providing safe transfer, recovery and extraction and return-to-use of materials with high bulk densities at high rates.
Recognizing the need to improve efficiencies in the additive manufacturing environment, Volkmann’s PowTReX eliminates needless waste of costly metal powders while maintaining a safe, contained environment for vacuum conveying of metal powders. Operating at throughputs of above 1100 lbs/hr for stainless steel, and above 660 lbs/hr for aluminum powder, PowTReX keeps the additive manufacturing operation running at peak efficiency.
- Vacuum Receiver with HEPA filter to separate and collect the powder and release it to the buffer while maintaining high exhaust air quality
- Powder Buffer to collect the metal powder before releasing it to the screener, making unloading independent of the screening rate
- Powder feeder that optimizes the amount of metal powder going to the screener
- Ultrasonic Screen with a basic screen size of 63 μm offering ultrasonic agitation of the sieve to prevent binding and outlets for the separation of acceptable and rejected product
- Collecting Bin or Pick Up Hopper with feeding element
- Options in buffer and screen sizes are available to meet the application
PowTReX is capable of handling metals and materials such as tungsten, cobalt, silver powder, iron, stainless steel, alumina, nickel chrome, copper, chrono K20, carbide dust, corundum and G.62 with bulk densities ranging from 93 to 341 lbs/ft3.
Operation in Normal Air or Inert Gas
The PowTReX works in both a normal air environment and under an inert gas. Where inert transfer is required, the PowTreXi system is designed in a “closed loop” so that inert gas is both contained and reused, avoiding the additional cost of large volumes of inert gas. In this version, a special configuration gas-tight electric pump is used to maintain system temperature and containment.
Turn to Volkmann systems for additive manufacturing for a complete process to optimize production. Volkmann offers:
- The PowTReX system to unload, convey and screen for metal powder recovery
- Pneumatic vacuum conveyors to transport the powder throughout the system
- VIAS Split Valves specially designed for docking operations in metal powder transfer during additive manufacturing.
- V-Comp Volume expansion tanks for pressure compensation during additive manufacturing
- ATEX Certified and inert or non-inert options
With these solutions you can:
- Unload, convey and screen for product recovery with PowTReX
- Load the printer from a docking station or PowTReX
- Load multiple printers
- Screen used metal powder at high rates
- Weigh and dose from hoppers
- Decant from IBC to smaller vessels for existing users
Demonstrated below are flow diagrams of additive manufacturing applications using the V-Comp expansion tanks with the top diagram showing unpacking stations and the 3-D printers and the bottom diagrams demonstrating closed-loop applications with container emptying and filling, and the PowTReXi in connection with AM machines and unpacking stations